Bryce - Peyton - Logan - Chase

Bathing Boys taking a bath after a hard day of playing on the farm. (Bryce & Logan are Stephanie's, the boys' first cousins).

Visitors Since March 2008

Monday, February 16, 2009

A Wasted Holiday

There's nothing like wasting a perfectly good holiday, huh? Originally we had planned on my mom and sisters being here for the President's Day "Weekend" but since that got postponed and I was feeling a bit better I decided to start remodeling our bathroom. So yesterday around 9:00 AM, I started tearing down wallpaper. I worked my booty off! I knew there were cracks in the plaster walls hiding behind the paper but I never dreamed it would be as bad as it turned out to be! The original plan was to take down the paper on the upper half of the wall, repair the cracks, Kilz it (primer), then put up texturized paintable wallpaper. Then on the bottom half of the wall we were going to put up white beadboard for that wainscot look/feel. Matt came in and checked on the progress and we talked, then I talked to my mom about it and we ultimately decided to cover the plaster walls with drywall. Yeah, you heard me...I wasted an entire day stripping that paper and it could've just stayed where it was!! That was very frustrating...but oh well...life goes on. So today I called the local lumber yard and got some prices and then promptly put together an estimate for our growing project...and it's going to be less expensive than my first plan!! Yay! And yes folks...my husband DOES require that I submit an estimate to him for all hair-brained schemes...still waiting to hear if I get "approved." But...I have a secret weapon now...a seriously nasty looking bathroom that HAS to have something done...so I'm "banking" on that approval! LOL. Okay, I'll stop with all the banking remarks. Here are the before and in-between pics of the bathroom.

Don't you just love the completely random oak cabinet and TP holder??
Lovely (and dirty) lace curtains...the wallpaper on top has tiny country blue flowers...on bottom the flowers are mauve! ...Father forgive them for they do not know they sin...

The clawfoot tub, sink, and medicine cabinet are original fixtures in the house...even the faucet on the sink.

The beautiful circa 1930 wallpaper...it stunk...literally.

One of the areas needing the most repair.
I'll keep you posted on the progress!


2 comments:

April Stilwell said...

Oh my goodness!! Are you leaving the tub? I love the claw feet tub :) I actually like the old 1930s wallpaper. Maybe a less stinkier version.

Anonymous said...

Oy, that looks like a huge job! Although I agree w/ April, the 1930s wallpaper is actually pretty cool. If it weren't moldy and stinky, of course!